Happy Valentines Day! I’m throwing it back to a post from my archives.
What I’ve found is that the lovey dovey sentiments while in a relationship can sometimes come a little ‘easier’ when you’re dating (as opposed to in marriage.) Being married can be incredibly romantic but you might need to become a little more intentional to keep the spark turned on during some life seasons together.
So what I highly would recommend is that you don’t just do nice things for one another during the annual events like Valentines, anniversaries or birthdays. Year after year that will likely begin to feel forced. And it’s important to remember that it’s the small moments of everyday kindness that can make your spouse feel cherished and loved. Here are a few ways that I think you can say ‘ILY’ all year round, in no particular order.
- Surprise your spouse by doing a house chore that typically falls outside of your responsibilities.
- Go to their favorite restaurant or movie of their choice…without complaining
- Take their car to the car wash or fill it up with gas. While you’re at it, buy their favorite car air freshener.
- Leave a love note in their car, under their pillow, or on the bathroom mirror.
- Send a nice text to let them know that they are on your mind during the day. This could be an emoji, a cute photo of the two of you, or a love quote or saying. You could even send a link to a song that reminds you of them.
- Deliver a bouquet of flowers or chocolate-covered fruit to their work…not on Valentines Day!
- Surprise them with a gift card to their favorite spa for a pedicure or massage.
- Bring home their favorite drink from Starbucks with a hand written message on the cup.
- Plan an entire day to getaway and drive to your favorite romantic spot.
- Propose an impromptu dinner at the beach or visit to the local park.
- Bake (or purchase) their favorite dessert for a normal weekday night at home.
- Plan ahead for date night with a bottle of wine to share, either their favorite kind or one that might remind you of your wedding day or wedding location.
- Play your favorite romantic song and ask them for a slow dance, in the kitchen.
- An album of boudoir photos, perhaps?
- Change up your nighttime routine and serve them in ways that they desire to be served, not the other way around.
- Check out the app “Hotel Tonight” for an inexpensive hotel stay.
- If you want to try something completely different, spend some time on the Groupon app for creative+local ideas that could create for a special experience!
These are just examples of small things which can truly add up to a fulfilled life with one another. I hope you can make these personal to your insidiously personalities and relationship-norms. If Valentines becomes ‘less of a big deal’ because you do these things together often; that isn’t a bad thing. Try to put a few of these into action in 2019 and just see how it goes!
Girl with a diamond ring
Follow Me on Instagram and Pinterest for More
Update: I’ll be taking a break from wedding content for a few months to focus on my personal life. To catch up on past content, feel free to check out the links above, and scroll down this page for other posts. If you subscribe to my blog via email then you’ll be notified when I’m back!